1888 and SDARM Legalists: The Great Lie Behind SDARM Origins
The Reformists of the SDARM generally BELIEVE and TEACH:
- The ‘mainstream’ SDA Church is apostate and in Babylon because it supposedly rejected the special 1888 message of Jones and Waggoner.
- The special 1888 message is one of justification by faith, rather than salvation by works.
The Reformists are WRONG because:
- The ‘mainstream’ SDA Church did not reject the 1888 message.
- The message of justification by faith is only found in the ‘mainstream’ SDA Church – especially in its more progressive elements.
- There is no basis found in Ellen White’s writings to support the idea that the SDA Church is in Babylon. By her own last will and testament, she showed continued trust in the leadership of the ‘mainstream’ SDA Church.
- With much irony, the SDARM Church(es) themselves wholly reject the 1888 message of justification by faith.
- The SDARM Church(es) are legalists, who practice in reality (if not in theory) a form of salvation by works. For example, the SDARM make ‘non-essential’ practices, such as vegetarianism, long hair and dress reform ‘salvation issues’ which they treat as tests of fellowship.
- The primary criterion for the SDARM’s own existence and separation from the ‘mainstream’ SDA Church is a doctrine they themselves don’t even really uphold!